Jan 19, 2015

Travel diary to Bangkok, Thailand - Fussing over tresses

My encounter at the Bangkok hairdresser was pretty interesting, I must say. Because I had my hair done by a tranny. I have always harboured a secret little notion of having my tresses or nails done by a tranny because I have only been near one in close proximity whereby they are either only prostitutes or bitchy salespersons. Therefore, having my hair done by a tranny was pretty cool because I got to see her (I shall call her that because thats the reason why he changed his gender for) touch my hair, comment about it and provide me some cool hair advice. Its like how we often see on television whereby the sassy tranny gives the protagonist girl some steadfast pieces of advice with an affectionate cluck of her tongue or a perfectly manicured finger. Okay, yeah right. Like that happens in real life all the time. But a girl can fantasize and dream right? Sometimes, we all cant help but wish for that magical person who could just whisk in at the right moment and answer all our doubts and questions, take away our troubles and make everything alright again. And I'm not even talking about a boyfriend or "friends" who figuratively 'makes everything better', but someone who really, literally, 'makes everything better' immediately. Uh well, but I digress.


Just look at that dry hair of mines :( 

As I wanted to dye my hair and do treatment, she suggested a hair colour that was more suitable for my hair, which was initially red but faded to really, light brown after some hair treatment that I previously did in another hair salon. She said it would blend well with my current hair colour so my hair would not have so much underlying colours due to previous dye jobs. But of course, she did not say all of the above in good English. She basically just pointed to a colour in the colour book and then, at my hair and said "okay!" confidently. So, in I went into the hair salon for a good 1.5 hours.

She combed my really, really dried-out hair with a look of obvious disapproval and at the same time, talking in rapid Thai to the other hairdressers beside her. I suspected I have received the stamp of disapproval, much to my embarrassment. When she trimmed my hair, I saw my hair getting progressively shorter and panicked. Afraid of a disastrous haircut, I immediately told her to stop and she insisted "a little bit more" and I sank helplessly back into my chair. Luckily, the end result was not too bad. Thank heavens.



While waiting for the dye colour to soak into my hair, she made timely efforts to check the condition of my hair, picking at hair strands that got tangled during the dye job and tugging at out-of-place hair strands. At the same time saying "eww"s and looking at me kindly to assure me she did not mean any harm. I smiled back. Throughout the period, she gave me some Thai fashion magazines to look at and pointed to the pictures to indicate I could look at the pictures and illustrations to bid my time. I took them kindly and stared hard at the pictures till I think I got a headache. Now I think I kind of understand the pain and annoyance of illiterate people (those with valid reasons as to why they could not read, of course. Such as elderly folks). But either how, an hour and a half flew by and my hair was revealed to me. It was a nice shade of red and she said "Pretty!" and I just laughed. 

I'm glad I got my hair done there although it wasnt of the best quality you could ever get because the colour faded after two weeks to soft brown (still pretty okay to me, so no gripes about that). Also, the assistant washing my hair felt like she was going to rip it from my head and drown my ears with water. But otherwise, it was a pretty new experience.


Using this photo because my other photos doesnt show the hair colour properly

I guess new experiences dont need to be bold, big or outrageous. It can simply just be doing your hair in a foreign country. Now THAT, can be pretty crazy already. I would suggest anybody to go do your hair during your travels, just once. But keep it safe to maybe a hair dye, treatment or trim because sometimes, if not careful, getting lost in translation can be pretty disastrous for your innocent tresses.

Check out my travel adventures to Bangkok; the food and places by clicking the link here:
Travel Diary to Bangkok - Food & Places! (:

Till next time. 

xx, 
Loves,
Nices

No comments:

Post a Comment