Dec 10, 2016

KIMONO (JAPAN) VS HANBOK (KOREA) - My experiences with both of them!

Hi guys! So I did mention in my South Korea - Jeonju & Naejangsan blogpost that I would do a comparison between these two experiences I had when I was in Japan in April 2016 and in Korea in November 2016. Both are equally amazing experiences and I really can't compare them on an equal basis as both reflect different countries' traditional cultural costumes, styles and mannerisms. However, I believe some of you might be curious as to what are the differences and how it felt to be wearing each of them so here's my personal take on both! 

LEFT: Kyoto, Japan (April 2016 - Winter/Spring)  
RIGHT: Jeonju, South Korea (Nov 2016 - Autumn/Winter)

Here's a table that I did to show the comparison between the two! Hope it helps! (:
Total I spent for:
Kimono -> 
Costume Package + (Cheapest) Hair accessory + (Simple) Hairstyle = SGD $69 
Hanbok -> 
Costume Package = SGD $18 (I rented for an hour only)

As you can see, Kimono rental in Japan is more expensive! But it was really fun walking around and spamming pictures. Furthermore, we got to spend at least 4 hours (We booked reservations at 3pm and had to return it before the store closes at 7:30pm) taking our own sweet time snapping pictures and even stopped by a teahouse for tea! :DDD
If you really breakdown the cost, Kimono rental seems to be more bang for your buck. However, if you don't see why you should be restricted in a costume for many hours and/or are rushing for time, of course the Hanbok experience is more suited for your needs as they charge by the hour. 

All in all, we shouldn't compare the two experiences. Both costumes are superbly cute and worthy for ladies (and men) to try at least once in your life time! A lot of folks actually take wedding pictures in these costumes, which further proves their respective popularity!

 My friends, Ade and Chris's Kimono costumes!
Umbrella not included in the package, by the way. Hahahaa... just in case you are wondering! But I think they do provide those traditional Japanese umbrellas during rainy season (for rental, of course. Not for free)

TIPS:
Advanced reservation is required for Japanese Kimono Rental. 
We reserved at Yumeyakata @ Kyoto. There are other Kimono Rental services which fetch similar prices and similar packages. My advice is to choose the location which you feel easiest to get to from wherever you are in Kyoto and of course, whether they have your preferred time slots. Yumeyakata was ideal because it was just 2-3 busstops away from Gion Street and the bus stop is located just a few minutes walk away from it. 

Korean Hanbok wearing is a little less complicated. It's very common to see Hanbok rental shops in Jeonju Hanok Village. Within Seoul itself, one other place that is very common to be seen wearing Hanbok is at Gyeongbokung Palace. As mentioned in my travel post to Seoul, it is better to rent Hanboks that have puffed-up underwired skirts for better quality photos. Also, make sure the puffed up skirts are able to cover your shoes. If not, at least sport black covered shoes to prevent clashing of colours with your costume. 

For more information and travel tips, do check out my other blogposts:

Japan:
Travel Diary - Food & Places (Part I  Kyoto) <- For more pictures of Kimono!
Travel Diary - Food & Places (Part II Osaka)
Travel Diary - Food & Places (Part III Kanazawa, Takayama & Nagoya) 

Korea:
Travel Diary - Food & Places (Part I Jeonju & Naejangsan) <- For more pictures of Hanbok!
Travel Diary - Food & Places (Part II Seoul) 

Other Korea-related posts:
Seoul - Tresses Review on JUNO Hair Salon 2016

xx
Loves,
Nices

No comments:

Post a Comment